ISSN 1119-4618
 

Original Research 


Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria

Saleh Mustapha Babagana, Satendra Sharma.

Abstract
A total of 43 Vertical Electrical Sounding (VES) measurements were conducted at Dowaya area of Numan using ABEM SAS-1000 model Terrame¬ter, and the Schlumberger electrode configuration with a maximum of 200 m cur¬rent electrode separation thus half electrode spac-ing (AB/2) ranging from 1.0 m to a maximum of about 100 m, and potential electrode spacing ranged between 0.5 and 16 m. The geophysical survey was aimed at evaluating groundwater potential using the concept of the Dar Zarrouk parameters. About 34.90 % of the entire aquifer in the study area revealed a moderate groundwater potential with aquifer transmissivity values, 70 m2/day and above while the rest of the aquifer’s 65.10 % revealed low groundwater potential. The groundwater potential of the area, though can sustain present need, is not so encouraging. Policy makers and groundwater managers should adopt strategies to properly develop and manage the resource for the sustenance of both present and future generations.

Key words: Groundwater potential; Aquifer parameters; Dar Zarrouk; Electrical resistivity sounding; Schlumberger


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Saleh Mustapha Babagana
Articles by Satendra Sharma
on Google
on Google Scholar


How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

Babagana SM, Sharma S. Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. JPAS. 2022; 22(1): 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52


Web Style

Babagana SM, Sharma S. Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. https://www.atbuscienceforum.com/?mno=88354 [Access: November 12, 2022]. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Babagana SM, Sharma S. Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. JPAS. 2022; 22(1): 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Babagana SM, Sharma S. Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. JPAS. (2022), [cited November 12, 2022]; 22(1): 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



Harvard Style

Babagana, S. M. & Sharma, . S. (2022) Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. JPAS, 22 (1), 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



Turabian Style

Babagana, Saleh Mustapha, and Satendra Sharma. 2022. Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. Science Forum (Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences), 22 (1), 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



Chicago Style

Babagana, Saleh Mustapha, and Satendra Sharma. "Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria." Science Forum (Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences) 22 (2022), 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Babagana, Saleh Mustapha, and Satendra Sharma. "Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria." Science Forum (Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences) 22.1 (2022), 63-72. Print. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Babagana, S. M. & Sharma, . S. (2022) Geophysical evaluation of groundwater potential in Dowaya Area of Numan, Northeast Nigeria. Science Forum (Journal of Pure and Applied Sciences), 22 (1), 63-72. doi:10.5455/sf.babagana52